Indulge in a Luxurious 1970s Style Veal Piccata with Mushrooms and Lemon Slices
Delight in a luxurious and easy 1970s-style Veal Piccata with mushrooms and lemon slices. Perfect for a special dinner at home. Recipe by Glenn Connaughton. Read more about Glenn here.
Mom’s 1970s Style Veal Piccata with Mushrooms and Lemon Slices
As a child growing up in the Bronx in the 1970s, I remember how difficult it was for my single mom to put food on the table every night. We didn't have a lot of money, so our meals were often simple and affordable. Veal Piccata with Mushrooms and Lemon was one of my all time childhood favorites. Veal was a luxury item that we rarely had, and I knew it was expensive. But my mom had managed to save up enough money to buy some for special occasions. I remember watching her carefully pound the thin slices of veal and coat them in flour, then frying them up to a perfect golden brown in the pan. The smell of the cooking meat filled our small apartment and made my mouth water with anticipation.As my mom added the sliced mushrooms and chicken broth to the pan, I could tell she was working hard to make this dish as delicious as possible. She stirred the sauce, letting it thicken and develop its rich flavor, then squeezed fresh lemon juice over the top for a tangy finish. Finally, she arranged the veal cutlets on a platter and garnished them with lemon slices.When we sat down to eat, the veal piccata was truly a feast for us. The tender meat, savory mushrooms, and tangy sauce were a delicious combination that we savored with every bite. I felt grateful and proud of my mom for working so hard to provide us with a special meal that we would remember for years to come
- 4 veal cutlets pounded thin
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Lemon slices for garnish
- Combine the flour, salt, and black pepper in a shallow dish.
- Dredge the veal cutlets in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess.
- Heat the vegetable oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once the butter has melted and is hot, add the veal cutlets to the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove the veal cutlets from the skillet and set aside on a warm plate.
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the same skillet and sauté for 2-3 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Pour in the chicken broth and lemon juice, and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Return the veal cutlets to the skillet, spooning the sauce and mushrooms over the top.
- Garnish with lemon slices and serve hot.
Enjoy your veal piccata with mushrooms and lemon slices, a classic 1970s dish that will impress your family and friends!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Love this recipe? Go ahead and share this recipe on Yummly! Yum
Products from Revolution Barbecue
More Recipes from Revolution Barbecue
Smoked Beef Cheek Barbacoa Tacos: A Savory BBQ Delight
Welcome to a recipe that holds a special place in my heart …
Mississippi Pot Roast: A Flavorful Journey in Your Insta-Pot
Welcome to a culinary experience where simplicity meets extraordinary flavors with our …
Gourmet Grown-Up Spaghettios & Meatballs: A Childhood Classic Reimagined
Embark on a delightful culinary journey back to the simplicity and joy …